Click here to view and download the 2014 Action Plan.
Developing a comprehensive strategy to prevent and end homelessness requires participation by all partners. The Federal government created the Opening Doors comprehensive plan to prevent and end homelessness in 2010. In support of the Federal plan, local public agencies play a major role in ensuring funding of housing and other homeless services. Through the development of a community-wide action plan in August 2012, and the Ten Year Plan to End Homelessness published in 2006, a framework was developed that local public agencies use to create and implement their own portion of the five-year Consolidated Action Plans and Annual Action Plans focused on homelessness.
The first goal of the Houston area Continuum of Care (CoC) is to create and implement a coordinated intake, assessment and triage system by 2014. Actions already taken include design of a Coordinated Assessment Model, piloting Assessment and Triage Tools, creation of a Central Waitlist in HMIS and making the HMIS housing match capacity functional.
The CoC Steering Committee is currently focused on five critical objectives in the next few months/years.
GOAL #1: Create and implement a coordinated intake, assessment and triage system by 2014
- Coordinated Assessment Model designed and being piloted
- Assessment and Triage Tools in pilot use
- Central Waitlist created in HMIS
- HMIS housing matching capacity functional
- Staffing plan, coordinating entity and business rules approved by CoC Steering Committee
GOAL #2: Create 2500 Permanent Supportive Housing Units by December 2015
- Local Consolidated Plans and Public Housing Authority Administrative Plans are aligned.
- Financial Model and number of units identified
- Resources assembled, RFPs aligned
- Next steps: Pipeline management
GOAL #3: Create a new service delivery model connected to housing by December 2013
- RFP for 1115 Medicaid Waiver released
- Two contractors identified (HHH and HACS)
- Monitor pilot and bring to scale
GOAL #4: Rebalance the homeless response system by December 2015
- Housing Models defined
- Grant Renewal Scoring Tool complete
- Initial system mapping completed
- Initial transitional housing analysis completed
- Refine system and program performance