Federal funds are provided through Emergency Solutions Grants and Community Development Block Grants. Additional sources of federal funds as well as state, local and private dollars can also be used to meet the needs of homeless persons.

Other Public Funding:

Permanent Supportive Housing Technical Assistance Request for Proposals
Community Development Block Grant
Housing Opportunities for People With AIDS

Permanent Supportive Housing Technical Assistance Request for Proposals
The Coalition for the Homeless of Houston/Harris County is interested in providing a technical assistance analysis session specific to Permanent Supportive Housing (PSH) provider(s) within The Way Home Continuum of Care (CoC). This would include technical assistance to assist agency(ies) with CoC-Funded projects on clearing past US Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD)/audit findings and preparing for future monitoring visits and audits.
Due Date: May 25, 2018, 11:59:59 AM CDT to cscerbo@homelesshouston.org.
PSH Technical Assistance RFP (Word Doc)

Community Development Block Grant (CDBG)

The Community Development Block Grant Program is a flexible program that provides communities with resources to address a wide range of unique community development needs. Under CDBG, HUD provides grants on a formula basis to states and hundreds of localities nationwide.  CDBG works to ensure decent, affordable housing, to provide services to the most vulnerable in our communities, and to create jobs through the expansion and retention of businesses.

For more information on CDBG, visit HUD’s website

Housing Opportunities for People With AIDS (HOPWA)

Managed by HUD’s Office of HIV/AIDS Housing, the Housing Opportunities for People with AIDS program provides housing assistance and related supportive services to persons living with HIV/AIDS.

HOPWA funds are awarded as grants from one of three programs:

  • HOPWA Competitive Program – This program allows HUD to rate HOPWA projects under a selection criteria and award the hightest rated that funding levels allow.  States, cities, and local governments, as well as nonprofit organizations may apply for HOPWA Competitive funding.
  • HOPWA Formula Program – This program uses a statutory method to allocate HOPWA funds to eligible states and cities on behalf of their metropolitan areas.  HOPWA formula grants are part of the consolidated planning process.
  • HOPWA National Technical Assistance – Through this program, funding awards are provided to strengthen the management, operation, and capacity of HOPWA grantees, project sponsors, and potential applicants.

For more information on HOPWA funding, visit HUD’s website